By MINDY MCKENZIE
Daily Globe Staff Reporter
SHELBY- Fire Chief Mike Thompson reported on a reimbursement grant, while discussions continued over future plans with sewer concerns on West Main Street during Tuesday afternoon’s Safety Committee meeting.
Thompson explained the department would be receiving a reimbursement grant from seat belts fines collected.
“All of the seat belt money for fines goes to the Division of EMS and then however many is done in the state is split up between everyone,” Thompson said.
Thompson stated the amount Shelby would receive was estimated to be about $5,000. The grant money will be directed toward EMS supplies.
Looking at staffing issues, Thompson explained he wanted to hire one more full time officer at the department.
“I am going to meet with Steve Lifer, finance director, to go over our budget and I will be talking with him about tuck pointing the station. That will be about $8,500,” Thompson said.
On March 4, a training will take place for the department and neighboring fire departments on EMS and Fire Staff assault.
“This will show what we can do to protect ourselves and situation awareness,” Thompson stated.
The Richland County Prosecutor’s Office also visited the department to discuss report writing, Thompson added.
“They talked about what they look for in reports and if we ever had to go to court what we could expect. It was very informative,” Thompson stated.
Registered Sanitarian of the city Andrea Barnes explained she had recently completed her annual report and it was on the city’s website for residents to view.
Barnes discussed a letter from the Ohio Department of Health regarding the sewer issues on West Main Street.
“After looking at the inspections that were done, we still have two that are having difficulties getting them done. I know one of them is failing for sure, but there is quite few that need work of some sort. There are only three that are passing after reviewing the terms and conditions of the permit. I am just putting this out there that my recommendation is to extend the sewer,” Barnes said.
Committee Member Derrin Roberts explained he could pass out the letters at the next council meeting on Tuesday, February 21.
“I need a decision made sooner rather than later,” Barnes said.
“This could come from my question I asked at council the other week and that was what is our responsibility to those people. Are we responsible running sewer out there so that they don’t have to be compliant with their septic system?” Roberts added.
“My whole thing was if sewer was a consideration at any time out there, the time is now. At least seven to ten people are going to be spending $15,000 very soon. I think we can hold off and do small incremental repairs if there is a solid decision that sewer will be placed out there,” Barnes added.
Roberts explained he had spoke with some residents on West Main who were against sewer being placed on West Main, but had since changed their minds.
“Now they had been inspected and found they are not in as good of a shape as they thought they were, they have changed their minds,” Roberts said.
Committee Member Garland Gates asked Mayor Steven Schag where the city was at in the design phase of the project.
“I am not sure where they stand as far as completion. I can find that out, but I am not really sure at this time,” Schag said.
“Andrea you have requested that council prepare a resolution of necessity, which would be the next legislative step. We have to have a design first because having the plans and estimate are foundational to the resolution of necessity,” Gates added.
“So, right now there can’t be a solid decision made?” Barnes asked.
Gates explained the resolution of necessity was the first step and until plans were presented to council it couldn’t be started.
“If the Ohio Department of Health knows that plans are in process is that any indication?” Schag asked.
“No, that is not sufficient. It is indication but it is not sufficient to saying we are extending sewer out there,” Barnes replied.
As far as the police department, Chief Lance Combs explained the annual year end report had been completed. Combs also discussed the inspection of the jail.
“This year they are doing the inspection process completely different. We have to submit a lot of documents online and they are determining most of the compliance off the documents we submit. For the first time in my career, this will be a two day inspection. They (Bureau of Adult Detention) will be on site for two full days,” Combs stated.
Combs explained he had been working on the Opiate Board.
“We had 27 overdoses in 2016 that resulted in four deaths. We had at least one confirmed fentanyl overdose and one confirmed carfentanyl overdose. One of the things we are piloting with the city of Mansfield is an opiate response team,” Combs stated.
The department was going off the model from a township around Cincinnati.
“What is good about this is the partnerships we are developing. The goal is within 72 hours of an overdose, we will go out and make contact to provide them with materials to try to encourage them to get into a treatment program. Should they agree to do that, we will have people there to direct them to those resources and try to get them into beds if they choose to do it that day,” Combs said.
Combs added Mansfield had about 440 overdoses and about 20 deaths.
“We are trying to get out there within three or four hours of an overdose because we only had 27 overdoses last year, so that shouldn’t be an unreasonable thing for us to do. This is not an enforcement action and we are not there to arrest people, obviously if we see a crime while we are there then that is a different situation. When we go out with the service providers, we are essentially is providing security for them,” Combs said.Combs explained the success rate of the program was relatively high in the township around Cincinnati.